ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
In the process that started with the industrialization revolution, the effects of businesses on the environment have increased day by day, and as a result, humanity has come face to face with global climate change. A series of measures have been taken and are being taken to slow global climate change down and reduce its effects. The ISO 14001 standard, which has emerged as a result of this, has been published to minimize the environmental impact of businesses.
What are the 14000 series standards?
– ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems – Requirements
– ISO 14004 EMS – General Guide to Principles, Systems and Supporting Techniques
– ISO 14020 Environmental Labels and Statements – General Principles
– ISO 14031 Environmental Management – Environmental Performance Evaluation – Guide
– ISO 14040 Environmental Management – Lifetime Assessment – Principles and Framework
History of the Standard;
– ISO 14001:1994 – Documentary approach.
– ISO 14001:2004 – Process approach. Partial documentation.
– ISO 14001:2015 – Risk-based process approach. Documented information.
When the history of the standard is examined chronologically, it is seen that there is a transition from the documentary approach to the process approach.
What are the Benefits of ISO 14001 Environmental Management System?
- Compliance with national or international legal situations is ensured.
- It makes it easier to obtain license based on environmental activities.
- It helps to gain prestige in the international arena.
- It reduces the costs of solving existing problems in the environment.
- It ensures a more effective and efficient use of natural resources.
- It reduces adverse events.
- It supervises and helps to reduce the negative effects of production activities within the company on the environment.
- By increasing the quality of the workplace, it enables workers to work in more ideal conditions.
- Develops environmental awareness after the training given to the employees.
Who Uses ISO 14001?
ISO 14001 Environmental Management System standards can be preferred for all organizations that aim to be respected and take place in the market. In addition to public and industrial organizations, it is also preferred by manufacturers that provide product and service support.
Where should I start for the ISO 14001:2015 Standard?
The biggest problem of businesses that want to establish an Environmental Management System according to the ISO 14001:2015 standard is that they do not know where to start.
As a business, the first thing to decide is whether to receive consultancy support to establish a system.
If Counseling Support will not be received, at least the following steps should be followed;
- First of all, the appointment of a person who has knowledge of the processes of the enterprise as responsible for establishing the system
- Establishment of the Environmental Team with the participation of a representative from all units under the leadership of the person appointed as the Environment Officer.
- Receiving ISO 14001:2015 Basic, Process Management and ISO 14001:2015 Documentation Trainings. (At this stage, the experience of the person who will give the training must be questioned and practical training must be obtained)
- The Senior Management prepares the Environmental Policy and Targets and announces them to the employees with the participation of the employees.
- Making dimensional impact analysis and preparation of action plan according to risk analysis
- Creation of a documented list of information that needs to be prepared
- Preparation of Machine Equipment List (Machine operation and maintenance instructions can be determined according to this list if needed)
- Preparation of Basic Input (Raw material, packaging, service) lists (Purchasing specifications, input quality plans can be determined according to this list)
- Preparation of product service lists (Product quality plans and specs can be determined according to this list)
- Receiving ISO 19011:2018 Internal Auditor Training. (At this stage, the experience of the person who will give the training must be questioned and practical training must be obtained)
- Preparation of Annual Training, Calibration, Maintenance, Internal Inspection Plans
- Implementation of the system
- 1 internal audit and 1 management review
- Correction of detected nonconformities